All about the Washingtonia palm tree
There is no better way to relax than to have a garden, plant any type of plant and take care of them to see them grow. In the case of palm trees, many people want this type of plant to give an aphrodisiac touch to their garden that few manage to have.
There are many types of palm trees to choose from, and it might be a headache to research each one. However, this time we will recommend Palmera Washingtonia to start a small earthly paradise in your home, and be the envy of all the neighbors.
If you are ready, we will explain everything you need to know about this famous palm before choosing.
More about the Washingtonia
The origin of this palm tree begins in Mexico, exactly in the state of Baja California, near Tijuana, it extends to the state of California in the United States and is the plant that you can see the most in Los Angeles. In addition, there are two types of this kind of palm, which are:
- Robusta Washingtonia: It has a thinner trunk than the filifera
- Washingtonia filifera: It has a wider trunk than the robust
The characteristic that attracts the most attention is that it supports winters of down to -5 ° or -10 ° depending on the type of palm tree, although they are used to being close to heat, more and a little drought. On the other hand, some of these palm trees reach more than 20 meters, but normally they reach up to 10 meters if they are in a crop.
In other words, this is the ideal palm tree for people who are starting their garden, do not want to have to give intensive care to the plants, and want a pleasant environment.
What does a Washingtonia palm need?
Because this is a plant from the American continent, we must have certain considerations before choosing the Washingtonia palm as our first option:
- The garden should be unshaded or should be planted where it can receive direct sun early in its growth. Then you can move the palm tree if you want.
- Don't worry too much about the temperature, unless you live in Siberia and have -40 ° winters.
- You should water it 3 times a week depending on the size when it is summer in the first year of its plantation, and then only 7 days during the rest of the year. However, you can stop watering it in the second year.
- You do not need a special fertilizer for this palm tree. Just use regular compost or organic waste.
- If the fan leaves dry up and down in the fall, there is nothing to worry about. If you want to prune, there is no problem if you remove most of the dry leaves.
Green Root | Palm tree pruning | Pruning at height | Sale of palm trees | rootverde.com
At Raiz Verde specialized in height pruning, tree pruning and palm tree pruning. We move to any point in the Valencian Community and the Murcia region.
Carrer Duran, 17, 03202 Elche, Alicante